Monday, January 26, 2009

Village seeks new director--UPDATE

Click here

Steinbrink Jr., son of Village President John Steinbrink Sr., has applied for the job. Pollocoff said Wednesday he was disappointed reading online comments alleging John Jr. had the inside track and others need not apply.

“I think it’s a shame, too, because I don’t hear a lot of people complaining about the job he does,” Pollocoff said.

Click here

“I assumed that once we put this out people would be saying we would hire him automatically,” Village Administrator Michael Pollocoff said. “I’m going to hire the best person for the job.”

It’s going to have to be someone who has grown up in the system,” she said. “All of our department heads are able to do every job that lies under their umbrella. So, we would expect them to be able to do any job in the field they would ask their workers to do.”

I'd say that line says it all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Renner. I see that you blocked my comment from last night. So much for you being open to all comments.

I still think you should go ice fishing and find some thin ice.

I dare you to publish both comments...this and last night's.

Village People said...

I do not block comments as they are instantly shown. I never received notification of any comments until this new one above. I have no idea what you are talking about. Did you hit send?

Anonymous said...

The only one who moderates comments is The (Somewhat) Yearly RAG!

Anonymous said...

Well, we're waiting! (Caddyshack)

Anonymous said...

“This is a plan that’s been somewhat in process for the last few years. The intention has always been to combine the two departments. The time is right. It’s one of those things we talked about and talked about, and the stars have all lined up.”

Let's leave Jr out of it. He's a good guy. From what I can see he does a great job, so he's likely a deserving candidate. There seem to be no rules that I can find that prohibit him from applying, so I don't blame him one bit for applying. If I were him I'd likely do the same thing.

However, the quote above seems to be a more relevant issue. Where was this new position discussed and when? i.e. do we really need a PW Director? Do the departments really need to be combined? Will the Village be more effective and efficient with a new dept?

If we do need this and it's previously been appropriately justified and approved; then this whole story seems like a non-issue.

I'm glad it's out in the open. I'm glad I had a chance to read about it and investigate for myself. But it ends up being a bunch of nothing IMHO. Unless I'm missing something and perhaps I am.

Anonymous said...

this is just a series of 'official' 'efforts' to justify giving jr a big raise.
hope i'm wrong...
he should be compensated no more, or no less than anybody else with his level of experience in a municipality of pp size. justifying a raise when taxpayers are losing jobs is disgraceful, but that's what you get when you vote for what you got.