Thursday, February 7, 2008

Luke 6:41-42

And why seest thou the mote in thy brother's eye: but the beam that is in thy own eye thou considerest not? 42 Or how canst thou say to thy brother: Brother, let me pull the mote out of thy eye, when thou thyself seest not the beam in thy own eye?

"And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the plank in your own eye? "Or how can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me remove the speck that is in your eye,' when you yourself do not see the plank that is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck that is in your brother's eye." Luke 6:41-42 NKJV

13 comments:

RAG said...

A venerable verse but today I, and probably the great mass of southern wisconsin, am much more interested in snow removal than speck removal.

Anonymous said...

Oh for Christ's sake...

Anonymous said...

Who is the hypocrite? Is it s/he who quotes the bible to insult his/her fellow man??? I think it is!

Anonymous said...

Aptly named poster. :-)

Village People said...

Or one could say that only the Great I AM can make that choice as I AM is without sin. So whether one is a hypocrite doesn't matter because the point is we are not to judge. Without knowing why this quote was placed here, how can village idiot judge?

Anonymous said...

Village People doth protest too much, methinks. Vague biblical sentiments are fine, but let's not behave as if naive.

Anonymous said...

But as we ought not to stir up wilfully the tongues of slanderers, lest they perish for their slander, yet when their own malice has instigated them, we should endure it with equanimity, that our merit may be added to.

Anonymous said...

Naive about what village idiot?

Anonymous said...

who would call themself the VILLAGE IDIOT?

Anonymous said...

Fitting name for sure!

Anonymous said...

Proverbs 11:29: He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind and the fool shall be servant to the wise in heart.

Anonymous said...

Have mercy on me, O God,
according to your steadfast love;
according to your abundant mercy
blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
and cleanse me from my sin!

PleasantPrairieWI said...

Matthew Harrison Brady,

I like it. Also the subtle reference to "Inherit the Wind".

Your comments can be construed in various ways, but the point remains the same. Fools do become servants to the Wise. Always happens, always will.

Problem is that Brady was so peppered by Henry Drummond (real life Clarence Darrow) that Brady collapsed and died I think.

Blind Faith is never good.